Player Profile

John David Murphy

Mixed day for Buttevant Footballers   14/05/2017

Division 1 Football League: Buttevant 3-14 Fermoy 3-7

Division 3 Football League: Buttevant 1-09 Kilshannig 4-11

A mixed set of results for Buttevant footballers today. First up in the morning were out Division 1 Footballers taking on Fermoy in Buttevant. Over the course of the first half, playing with a fierce breeze, the lads got on top of Fermoy and controlled the game for much of the half. John Buckley was in imperious form playing at half-forward, going up there and showing the forwards how it's done, slotting over two first-half points and adding a crucial score in the second half.

Buttevant had two picture-perfect attacks in a row in the 12th and 13th minute and rattled the onion bag on both occasions. Movement, passing and support were all on full display and the first attack was rocketed into the goals by John O'Neill, and Kevin O'Keefe slipped the second chance past the keeper. Great team attacking play. These goals tilted the contest in our favour, putting us ahead on a scoreline of 2-04 to 0-02.

Fermoy struggled to register scores against the wind, and we added to further points to go in at the half ahead by 2-06 to 0-02.

The changeover of the wind allowed Femroy to claw their way back into it. Credit must be given to the lads, after sloppily conceding a goal in the 38th minute, Seamus Madigan broke through a moment later and added another goal to our tally, 3-07 to 1-04. Some excellent shooting into the wind followed, and John O'Neill, Denis O'Connell and Brian O'Shaugnessy all registered some sumptuous scores, so that despite leaking goals in the 43rd and 55th minute, we were in control due to some very accurate shooting.

It is testament to the depth of our panel that after using 18 players in the morning, we were able to go and play Kilshannig in the afternoon and just two players had to tog out and play a second match.

We started the game brightly, our full forward line of Ga, Chris O'Toole and Jer O'Gorman all out in front of their men and swinging the ball back around for the runners or else slotting out over themselves. We were up against a physically strong Kilshannig side though. Their blend of size and experience was difficult to deal with, as when they ran, they ran with purpose and got their scores. We conceded some very poor goals to be honest, a combination of not tracking the man and not committing to the tackle allowing them to waltz in relatively unchecked. Especially in the first half, as we conceded three goals. The positive was that when we worked the ball up the field we were grabbing scores of our own.

Unfortunately, turnovers were the winning and losing of this game. Two turnovers in the Kilshannig half directly led to goals within twenty seconds.

At half time, we trailed by four points, 3-05 to 1-07.

In the second half, the goals conceded were always the measure between the two sides. Chasing the game, it was difficult going, and we were guilty of overplaying the ball and plenty of unforced errors led to turnover after turnover for Kilshannig. We worked hard, but found it very difficult against a very strong opposition, and turnovers have a nasty habit of breaking down a team’s spirit.

That brings us to the end of this year’s league campaign for both football teams. In the Division One, we’ll most likely be contesting a semi-final. After that, it’s onto the championships.

Club Sponsor


Latest Tweets